Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ich muss üben. Wiederholung: Ich MUSS üben!

Dear Friends,

By now you are probably thinking that it is unlikely that I will make it through the rest of Pettersson’s orchestral works between now and 19 September. You are right, I will not. In fact, I’m afraid to tell you all that I will be slowing down on the updates for a while, but don’t worry; I have not abandoned the cause, but far from it.

As I mentioned in a previous post the Deutsch-Skandinavische Jugend Philharmonie will be performing Pettersson’s Symphony No. 7 in Berlin early next year. I am not sure what level this orchestra plays at, but I am assuming very high. It seems that this orchestra is designed for young music students or freelancers with aspirations of becoming professional orchestral players. Despite having played cello seriously for many years I am definitely not on track for becoming a professional orchestral musician.

Although I am older than the age limit, I sent a message to the conductor, Andreas Peer Kähler, asking if he would be willing to make an exception for a Pettersson fan like myself. He said he had no problem with my age, but I had to, like everyone else, audition.

I really think this is a longshot for me. There are only 10 cello positions in this orchestra. Even if I was still in my playing prime I am guessing that the people who audition for this orchestra are at a higher level. Furthermore, this orchestra is an opportunity for young musicians to hone their orchestral playing skills; not for someone like me, who just wants a chance to play Pettersson’s music in an orchestra.

Regardless, I have to try; I have to audition. So the updates will slow down a bit as I try to get my chops back into shape. Don’t worry, I’ll still get to the blog as time permits. Anyways, wish me luck, and I gotta get practicing…

2 comments:

  1. An absolute Pettersson fan would play the viola.
    Ok, a cello is a big viola, so good luck and üüüüben

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just discovered your blog. Good luck from a big (probably the only one in my disgraced country) Pettersson fan from Italy

    ReplyDelete